Best Fencing Pliers: Reviews in 2022
Are you planning your next DIY project? Well, if the answer is yes, then there are loads of tools you need. However, one handy piece of equipment you cannot afford to miss is a fencing plier.
Although the tools are traditionally designed to build wire fences, these pliers are multipurpose. They can be extremely handy for any DIYer. The good news is that fencing pliers are available in a massive variety. So many brands, each offering unique features, are available these days.
But then again, picking out a perfect product can be very hard. There is no need to worry though. In this review, we give you important information about the best fencing pliers on the market.
Our goal is to help you make an informed choice when you decide to buy the pliers of your choice. We will also give you a list of products we believe rank higher than the rest based on our research.
Need a quick suggestion? Check our top 3 choices below-
What Are Fencing Pliers?
As the name suggests, fencing pliers are multipurpose tools used to install and repair wire fences. But don’t let this fool you. These handy tools can do more than that. To better understand the multipurpose functions of a fencing pliers, it is important to, first of all, explain its main components.
First, fencing pliers come with a hammer on one side and a pointed end on the other, which looks more like a spike. The hammer is used to nail staples into the wood and the spike, on the other hand, removes the staples if need be.
Fencing pliers also have three different hooks. One is located at the top of the nose and the other two on either side of it. Each hook plays a different role. For instance, the one at the top is mostly used to pull loose staples from the wood.
The hook can also be used to hold staples before nailing them to the wood. This reduces the risk of hitting your fingers accidentally. The hooks on either side of the plier's head, however, play the most important role – and that is cutting the wires.
All these functions are necessary when installing or repairing wire fencing. Fencing pliers allow you to carry one tool for the entire job. This is extremely convenient.
Well, now that you have some background on fencing pliers including what they are, and what they do, it is time to dive into individual products. As we have already noted above, there are so many brands. However, we have done all the research for you.
Top 6 Picks For The Best Fencing Pliers
1. TEKTON 34541 10-1/2-Inch Fencing Pliers
- Multi-purpose tool for installing, maintaining, and repairing wire fences
- Seven tools in one: hammer, staple starter, staple puller, staple claw, two wire splicing crimpers, two shear-type wire cutters, and gripping jaws
- Slim, nonslip grips provide comfort and control without adding bulk
- Made from high-strength chrome vanadium steel
The TEKTON 34541 is a multipurpose fence installation tool that features some amazing specs. First, the tool is extremely versatile. It can perform a total of seven different functions.
The plier also features strong shear type wire cutters that can snip even heavy gauge wires in a second. The TEKTON 34541 also feels very comfortable to hold thanks to the slim non-slip handles.
The plier is constructed using heavily strong chrome vanadium steel. It will deliver excellent service for a long time, giving excellent value for money. The TEKTON 34541 is also one of the more affordable pliers on the market. It is designed for someone looking for a cheap plier that still offers some of the features you get on higher-end brands.
- Features slim and non slip handles for extra comfort and ease of use
- Comes with powerful shear-type wire cutters that easily snip braided and heavy-duty wires
- Seven tools in one including a hammer, staple starter, staple claw, crimpers, wire cutters, and gripping jaws
- Highly durable product made from heavy-duty steel
- Extremely versatile for a wide range of fence repairs and installations
2. Channellock 85 10-1/2 in. Fence Tool Plier
- The Channellock Fence Tool has the features that you need to install and maintain wire fencing all in one strong, reliable tool
- Features include staple starter, staple puller, hammer, wire stretcher, wire splicers and 2 cutters
- Multi function wire stretcher, splicers and 2 cutters
- Staple feature staple starter and puller
- Channellock blue grips for comfort
The Channellock 85 is a higher-end, more premium, and more expensive fencing pliers. The tool is also packed with some excellent features as well. Before you start fussing about the price, you may want to know beforehand that it’s worth every dime.
The tool also features a multifunction design to cater for all your fencing needs. It also looks sleeker. The sturdy steel design is topped with chrome finished head and light blue handles for the perfect combination of color. The grip also feels easier to hold.
This comes handy when you are pulling wires or tight staples from posts. If you don’t mind paying the extra buck, the Channellock 85 is a great product to consider.
- Comes with a sleek and modern looking design
- A highly durable tool that will last for ages
- Features a multipurpose design to cater for all your fence installation and repair needs
- Excellent non-slip handles that are easy to grip
- Comes with a multipurpose wire stretcher, two cutters, and splicers
3. DEWALT DWHT70273 Fencing Pliers
DEWALT is one of the most popular brands when it comes to DIY tools. The company has a stellar history of producing state of the art equipment and its DEWALT DWHT70273 fencing plier is not any different.
This durable and highly versatile tool is designed to deliver long-lasting service and excellent value for money. The pliers are made using sturdy high-quality steel. They can also cut through the heavy-duty wire like it was rubber.
You also get comfortable handles for an easy and comfortable grip. As for the cost, you won’t get a more affordable plier in the market than the DEWALT DWHT70273.
In case you are on a budget, or perhaps you don’t intend to spend too much money on a fencing plier, the DEWALT DWHT70273 offers excellent quality for a very low price.
- Sturdy construction using heavy-duty steel
- Features an easy to clean black metal finish
- The handles offer a comfortable and strong grip
- One of the more affordable pliers in the market
- Extremely versatile, can be used for so many different fencing jobs
- Manufactured by a major brand with an excellent reputation of quality in the market
4. Crescent 10" Heavy-Duty Solid Joint Fence Pliers
The Crescent 10" Pliers is a heavy-duty multi use tool that will be perfect for any DIY enthusiast. The plier is made using a durable steel alloy. The tool is also strong enough to cut through any type of wire.
It will also last for a long time. The plier also features a sleek polished head and knurled handle grips that feel very comfortable on the hand. You also get two staple grips on the nose for extra versatility.
The Crescent 10" Pliers is one of the more affordable tools in the market too and looking at its features, it’s a bargain. The pliers are designed for people looking for a durable and flexible tool.
The plier offers excellent versatility in its multipurpose functionality. You will also love that it’s so easy to use. The tools are also available in red and black handles as well.
- Comes with two induction-hardened wire cutters that will cut through anything
- The hammerhead is corrugated to enhance its strength.
- The pliers are made using a durable and sturdy steel alloy for long-lasting service
- Comes with comfortable non-slip knurled grip handles
- The tool also features two staple grips on the nose for extra versatility
- The head is polished to offer that sleek and modern look
5. Allied Tools 30576 10-Inch Fence Pliers
The Allied Tools 30576 fencing pliers are also some of the more affordable tools you can go for. But don’t let the price fool you, these pliers come packed with some exciting features.
First, the pliers have strong cutting hooks designed to offer precise snips for any type of wire. The tools are also very comfortable to hold and use. The grips are cushioned with a soft non slip cover and have a curved design that easily grips the hand.
We also loved that the tool is quite versatile as well. It can be used for all fencing jobs including nailing staples, pulling wires, removing staples from posts, amongst a host of other roles.
The Allied Tools 30576 10-Inch Fence Pliers also look sleeker and are available in a polished chrome head with green covered handles. If you are looking for a simple and high-quality plier that will work for you for years, then this is one product you must consider.
- Features a sleek design with a polished head and unique green handles
- You get a limited lifetime warranty from the manufacturer
- Comfortable cushioned grips for ease of use
- Sturdy construction for longevity
- Precision ground cutting edges that will cut through any type of wire
- Highly multipurpose construction that works for all fencing projects
6. 10-1/2-Inch Multi-Purpose Heavy Duty Plier from Michigan Industrial Tools
This 10-1/2-Inch Multi-Purpose fencing plier from Michigan Industrial Tools is a multi use product that comes with a total of seven tools in one. It features a wire cutter, a hammer, gripping jaws, and other essential add-ons crucial for your fencing project.
The tool is also forged in high-quality industrial steel to deliver excellent durability and longevity. You will also love the strong and precise cutting edges that will cut through various types of wires.
These pliers are also easy to grip all thanks to their nonslip handles. However, what sets these tools apart is the cost. Even with its high-end features, the plier costs less compared to other options in its category.
The tool is also designed for both average DIY enthusiasts and professional handymen offering commercial fencing services. The pliers are weather and corrosion resistant as well.
In case you are looking for a heavy-duty fencing plier with a versatile construction and a sturdy design, then this product from Michigan Industrial Tools will work just fine.
- Made using chrome vanadium alloy steel for durability and longevity
- A weather and corrosion-resistant plier
- Extremely versatile, can be used for all types of fencing and heavy-duty commercial tasks
- Comfortable non-slip grip for comfort
- Very lightweight design for easy portability
Things to Consider Before Buying Fencing Pliers
As we have already noted above, fencing pliers come in a wide variety of brands. Each of these products has some unique features that make it tick. But even then, there are several general factors you must keep in mind as you shop for your preferred fencing plier. Here they are:
Although at the end of the day you want a fencing plier that will deliver excellent service, it doesn’t mean you have to break the bank to get it. Fencing pliers are priced differently depending on the features they have.
Before you buy, look at your budget and see which products give you the best value for money. A good rule would be to shortlist three or four pliers that you feel meet the specifications you are looking for.
Once you have the list, look at the price of each product and decide if they are within your budget. In case you are having trouble finding a plier within your budget, you can look for a few deals and discounts online. It won’t be easy to find discounts but there are always there.
However, no matter what you do, do not compromise on the quality of the plier just because of the cost. It’s better to spend a little extra money and get something that will deliver long-lasting service.
Fencing pliers are supposed to have multipurpose uses. They can pull staples from wood, pull fencing wire, nail staple, and also cut wire.
However, some pliers on the market play some roles better than others. For instance, it’s not uncommon to find pliers that are very efficient in cutting wires but lack the same effectiveness when removing staples.
Ultimately, the best thing would be to pick pliers that can perform all these roles as effectively as possible. Ask yourself this, will the pliers I’m about to buy do what I need them to?
It is also important to pick a fencing plier that feels comfortable to hold and use. In essence, you should be able to perform different functions with the tool without having to strain. Modern fencing pliers are designed to offer maximum comfort.
You will notice that a majority of products, including the ones we have listed above, come with a sleek pair of non-slip handles. The handles are also covered in soft rubber. This is done to ensure the tools feel comfortable to hold.
The non-slip rubber also enhances grip. It ensures that the tool does not slip away from your hands when you are pulling staples from wood. However, it doesn’t mean that all pliers have the same level of comfort. Even with these features, some brands may feel more comfortable than others.
If you are buying from a physical store, you can test each plier by hand and see which ones feel more comfortable. But for people buying online, it would be best to rely fully on the reviews of customers. What are they saying about the comfort of each product?
Fencing pliers are not that expensive but the last thing you want is to buy a product that will not last. Fencing is a very rigorous DIY job and it needs durable tools. In that case, you may want to buy a highly durable plier that can perform various roles without getting damaged.
Well, one thing you can do to make sure of this is to look at the type of material used to make the plier. Generally, steel-based designs tend to be relatively sturdy and would last for years even with heavy-duty use.
It is also advisable to pick pliers that have an anti-rust coating. This will go a long way in enhancing the longevity of the tool. Finally, look at the durability of the materials used to cover the handles. Although a lot of people don’t pay attention to this, the covers on the handle are essential in the proper functioning of any fencing plier.
If they wear off too fast, then the effectiveness of the tool, in general, will be significantly limited. Sturdy rubber covers are often an ideal choice since they are highly weather-resistant and can last for a long time.
Finally, you may also want to pick fencing pliers that are easy to clean and maintain. The longevity of your pliers, and by extension any tools, is determined by how well they are maintained.
Well-kept tools will deliver service for a long time. But maintenance can sometimes be a stressful activity, especially for tools that require a lot of it. Most people don’t have the time to do maintenance regularly. In that case, picking tools that require very little maintenance is highly recommended.
Guide to using Fencing Pliers
Fencing pliers are designed to perform several multipurpose roles. They are considered the ultimate tool to have for any fencing project at home or in a commercial establishment. But how do you make the most out of these tools? Well, we may have a few hacks but first, let us look at some of the main roles these tools play.
Cutting the Wire
Fencing wires come in various designs. But one thing is always clear, these are heavy gauge metal wires that require heavy-duty tools to cut. Well, this is exactly where the fencing pliers help.
Each plier has two wire cutters on either side. Simply pull your wire and place it between any of the cutters. Once the wire is in position, apply pressure gently by pressing the handles together. This should be enough to cut the wire almost instantly.
However, sometimes you may be dealing with thick heavy gauge wires. These wires will not be cut easily using a fencing plier but the tool can still be handy. To cut heavy gauge wires, simply place them on any of the wire cutters.
However, instead of placing the entire wire, place the edge only so that it’s slightly inside the cutter. Apply pressure by pressing the handles. Remove the wire and then twist it with your hands. It should cut off easily after that.
Nailing In Staples
Fencing pliers also come equipped with a hammer to help you nail in staples. This is an easy task. The only thing you need to do is to place the staple on the wood using your hand. Once it’s in position, use the hammer on the pliers to hit it until it is firmly attached to the post.
It is important to note however that the hammer on most fencing pliers is not nearly as effective as a traditional hammer. It is often advisable to use it as a last resort measure or in cases where access to a traditional hammer is not possible.
The hammer in most of these pliers is smaller. It lacks the intensity of a traditional hammer and this means you will take more time nailing staples.
Fencing pliers may also prove very helpful in case you decide to use a traditional hammer. They can be used to hold the staples into position before drilling them in. This helps to reduce the risk of hitting yourself on the fingers when nailing the staples.
If you are doing some fence repair, you will run into staples that need to be removed in favor of new ones. The fencing pliers should do this easily. There are two ways to do this.
First, if the staples are already loose, it should be far easier to remove them. To do this, open the tip of the plier and grip the staples. Press using the handles tightly and then pull steadily. Do not use to much force. Steady and consistent pulling should do the trick.
However, if the staples are already firmly attached to the wood, you will need to use the hook on the plier first before pulling them out. The hook is designed to loosen the staples so that they can be removed easily. To do this, place the hook underneath the staple at an angle.
Think of it as removing a nail using a traditional hammer where then hook goes under the staple. Pull steadily until the staples are loose. Once this is done, open the tip of the plier and place it on top of the staple. Press and pull steadily to remove it.
Stretching and Pulling Wires
Fencing pliers may also come handy when you are pulling wires. You see the wires on any fence need to be tight before they are nailed into the posts. Pulling using your hands is simply not an option. To pull or stretch out fencing wires, open the nose of your pliers. Place the wire that you intend to pull and then grip it by pressing the handles. Pull gently until the wire is fully stretched.
Pulling and nailing fencing wire may sometimes require two people and an extra pair of tools. While the pliers will easily pull the wire and stretch it out, you need to have an extra pair of hands to nail it on the post.
Important Fencing Plier Hacks
There are also several hacks you should know about before you start using fencing pliers. This will help you make the most out of these tools. Here they are:
- Applying the right amount of pressure and force is crucial when using fencing pliers. Whether you are cutting wires, pulling staples, or straightening wires, you will need to apply enough pressure on the handles for an effective grip. This will make your work easier and faster.
- It is also important to make sure that every action you do with these tools feels comfortable. Fencing pliers are supposed to make your work easier. If any of the tasks we have listed above feel far too difficult to accomplish, it may suggest that you are not using the pliers correctly or you are using the wrong tool.
- Ensure your pliers are in good condition. Worn out tools will have a hard time completing simple jobs compared to new ones. If for some reason your plier is not able to easily perform the tasks listed above, it may be time to get a new one.
- Test your tools as well before putting them to work. If this is your first DIY rodeo, you may want to practice first before getting to the real fence. For instance, you can try to nail and remove staples from a piece of wood and see how you fare. Practice makes perfect and it will help you complete your fencing project faster and with less stress.
The multipurpose nature of modern fencing pliers makes them a great tool for any DIY fencing project. Whether it’s a repair or a full fence installation, these tools will be invaluable.
However, there are several brands out there and each one of them offers something unique for every customer. But if you were to choose a product that feels a cut above the rest, the TEKTON 34541 will be first in your list.
The pliers are extremely affordable and they come with a durable and sturdy design that will last for ages. The tools are also comfortable to use thanks to their strong-grip nonslip handles. They offer excellent value for money.
The DEWALT DWHT70273 is not far behind either, especially when it comes to durability. Besides, these tools are manufactured by one of the most notable brands in the market.
However, it all comes down to personal choice. A good rule would be to carefully look at the six pliers we have reviewed above and decided which ones meet your needs better.